What is the difference between normal bolts and high friction grip bolts?

Posted in Steelworks | Email This Post Email This Post |
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

High friction grip bolts are commonly used in structural steelwork. They normally consist of high tensile strength bolts and nuts with washers. The bolts are tightened to a shank tension so that the transverse load across the joint is resisted by the friction between the plated rather than the bolt shank’s shear strength.

This question is taken from book named – A Self Learning Manual – Mastering Different Fields of Civil Engineering Works (VC-Q-A-Method) by Vincent T. H. CHU.


More Entries :
  • Sudeep Kumar Dey January 15, 2011 at 4:07 am

    Very useful

  • Nik Nabeelah August 27, 2014 at 9:28 pm

    What are the tests required for these kind of bolts tightening?

  • Post a comment