What are Stones?
Stones are made up of two or more minerals that make up rocks, which make up the earth’s crust and have no specific shape or chemical composition. In regions where it is naturally accessible, stones are one of the most significant building materials in stone masonry civil engineering. The stones used in building construction should be strong, robust, and tough, with no weathered soft spots of material, fractures, or other faults that would reduce their strength and longevity. Quarrying from large solid rocks is used to obtain stones for construction.
Uses of Stones:
Stones are used in various applications in construction, such as:
- Masonry, comprising pillars, swags, entrances, and decorative embellishments.
- Tiles and cladding for the floor and walls.
- Surrounds for fires, stairwells, and other decorative components
- Concrete, mortar, cement, asphalt, and some bricks contain it.
- Roofing materials.
- Work surfaces and tabletops in the kitchen.
- Countertops, shower trays, and basins for the bathroom.