- About 90 per cent earthquakes result from tectonic plate movements
- Rest can be related to volcanic activities, collapse of subterranean cavities or man made effects such as nuclear explosions
- Tectonic earthquakes are triggered when accumulated strain exceeds shearing strength of rocks
- Himalayas one of the most tectonically active
- Major strain due to collision is distributed along Himalayas
- Rest is distributed northwards in a wide area from Tibetan plateau to Pamirs
- The push from the north Asian side resulted in compression producing gigantic thrusts
To learn more about earthquakes download the excellent presentation by Er. Rahul Malhotra
. Rahul has explained each and every thing in detail and this one is one of the best presentation on earthquake I have came across.
earthquake- engineeringcivil.ppt – A complete presentation on earthquake.
If you have a query, you can ask a question here.