Ask An Expert

Is structure engineering troubling you?
Do you face problems in solving even the basic problems?

If yes then look no further as engineeringcivil.com along with Er. Gobind Khurana and Er. Abhimanyu has taken an initiative to help civil engineering students in structure related queries. We are thankful to Er. Gobind Khurana, Er. Abhimanyu and Vincent T. H. CHU for being a volunteer in helping other engineers in solving problems related to structure design in R.C.C and Steel.

Expert 1
Name – Er. Gobind Khurana
Qualification:
1. Bachelor of Civil Engineering From Thapar University Patiala
2. Master of Structure Engineering from Delhi University.
Work Profile: Currently working as Consultant for structural problems in R.C.C and STEEL Design.

Expert 2
Name – Er. Abhimanyu
Qualification:
Bachelor of Civil Engineering From Thapar University Patiala
Training at site in Unitech ( during 6 month summer training)
Work Profile : Presently working as associate design engineer for Fluor Daniel India Pvt Ltd. Area of work is structural steel design and concrete foundations for both static and dynamics analysis ( mainly in oil and gas industry)

Expert 3
Er. Vincent T. H. CHU obtained the degree of civil and structural engineering in the University of Hong Kong. He is the author of the monthly column “The Civil FAQ” in the Hong Kong Engineer published by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers and is the author of the civil engineering monthly columns “The Civil Q&A” and “The Civil Corner” on the websites on World Federation of Engineering Organization and the University of Science and Technology (American Society of Civil Engineers – International Student Group) respectively. He is the recipient of the Ombudsman’s Award 2007 under complaint-related category and Young Engineer of the Year Award 2008 (Merit) organized by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. He is also the author of the engineering book “200 Question and Answers on Practical Civil Engineering Works”, “Civil Engineering Practical Notes A-Z” , “Ask Vincent Chu (Common FAQ on Practical Civil Engineering Works)” and “The Underlying Reasons in Practical Civil Engineering Works”.

So if you have any query regarding the concerned matter, just drop a comment and we will try to solve it as soon as possible.

Comments
  • Rohith Kumar January 28, 2018 at 12:23 pm

Sir, can we use recycled high density plastic as a replacement of coarse aggregate. Please give me a brief about this.

• Ryan Riedel January 29, 2018 at 5:17 pm

I have a question regarding the article “Use of Aluminium In Building Construction”. Is this market data related to the UK and/or Europe or globally? I’m interested in aluminum usage in N.A. for exterior facads and interior panels i.e. market size for each in terms of tonnes/yr. Any information that you can share would be appreciated. Thank you

• Anthony Pratola January 30, 2018 at 9:01 am

I have a question on a civil drawing I have an elevation of 744.70 and another at 741.50 I know that the 744.70 is lower but how do I know how much in feet and inches I know the difference is 3.2 is the difference 3 feet 2 1/2 inches approximately ?

• Wondimgegm zewdie teklie February 4, 2018 at 1:21 pm

When the ISAT test is carried out, the results fit approximately to the
    relationship:
    Flow = A × t-n, where t is time and A and n are constants. The following graph
    shows the results from an experiment. What are the values of A and n?

• Saket Wani February 9, 2018 at 8:42 am

I want to know 2 applications each of M15, M20, M25, M30, M35, M40, M50, M60 Mix of concrete.

• Christopher February 11, 2018 at 12:07 pm

What is the role of civil engineering in environmental issues

• Linnea February 11, 2018 at 5:01 pm

I am an American planning to study Civil Engineering. My question is whether you need to study in the country which you intend to practice? I am applying to schools in Ireland, does this mean I will most likely need to practice there as well, or could I come back to the US and practice?
    Thank you!

• anurag singh February 14, 2018 at 2:36 am

que. how can we solve sewerage excretion problem in a rotatry building(whose every floors are rotating)??

• ALEX-CHRIS IFEANYICHUKWU February 14, 2018 at 2:51 am

Sir,
    I am a student of civil engineering, I need a project work on “THE ROLE OF SOIL IN PURIFYING WASTEWATER EFFLUENTS”
    Thanks in anticipation.

• Tejpal Singh Hanspal February 15, 2018 at 4:29 am

Sir, At City Development Authority for Civil Engineering which Softwares are useful and Authentic.

• Vikas February 17, 2018 at 11:25 am

What measures shall be taken if proper lap of 5 out of 60 vertical steel bars of column are missed after concreting.

• Mihir February 19, 2018 at 3:43 am

Sir if in certain area we don’t have space for construct foundations , so for same area do piling will be preferable or not ? and if depth for footing in near by 3 meters (footing size 2.4*2.1*.500) , coloumn size : 0.600*0.500 , do pile will give us satisfying result same as footing ?

• Gary April 10, 2018 at 10:30 pm

• A. Krishnan March 1, 2018 at 12:52 pm

I am extending my house from GF to GF+FF. At present it has 9 inch thick wall running all around. At one area, there is a 6 inch wall (5 feet away from the balcony wall on the inner side) standing on the roof slab of a newly added room of the GF (two additional columns have been made. This wall is likely to house the balcony door also and the balcony will have a grilled window and drops. Parallel to the above mentioned 6 inch wall, the contractor has constructed 6 inch thick balcony parapet wall on the existing GF 9 inch wall (part of the main external wall). Contractor says, now that two 6 inch walls are existing parallely there is no issue with regards to security. My question is as follows: –

1. Can I have the 6 inch thick wall for a length of about 12 feet on top of the roof slab with out any beam underneath?
    2. Is is ok to have two 6 inch thick walls on the external side?
    3. During the construction I have insisted to use only river sand for the roof slabs. View scarcity of sand, can we go ahead with M-Sand for the roof slb? will it create any problem on the long run?

• Za March 3, 2018 at 4:32 pm

The deflection of a reinforced concrete cantilever was found to increase after 10 years of use without significant load increase. what kind of behaviour could this be described as?

• arshad March 5, 2018 at 10:40 am

civil engineering technology ka bad ms/phil ka la kon sai field best ha??

• manoj pillai March 13, 2018 at 8:47 am

Dear Sir,
    plzz tell in detail how to calcuate wind load for cooling tower

• Gary April 10, 2018 at 10:28 pm

Use the wind code and the projected area of the tower for your calculation.

• pamelah March 25, 2018 at 4:26 am

A project on “surface and groundwater quality verification in an industrial environment”.

• mehran manzoor March 26, 2018 at 10:48 am

Is water required for the cement of 43 grade and 53 grade same or not?
    is their any change in the heat of hydration in both of grades

• Anamikakashyap March 26, 2018 at 3:08 pm

i want to make an innovative project for my exhibition competition can u please help me with the data how to make a existing building into green building or any other topics which can help me or can be presented on my exhibition

• Swarup Sil March 27, 2018 at 6:04 am

I am from Kolkata and want to make aggregate test (size 10mm to 35 mm)…whom to be test at Kolkata and what will be the expenditure. Please send me the address and contact details