Ask An Expert

Is structure engineering troubling you?
Do you face problems in solving even the basic problems?

If yes then look no further as engineeringcivil.com along with Er. Gobind Khurana and Er. Abhimanyu has taken an initiative to help civil engineering students in structure related queries. We are thankful to Er. Gobind Khurana, Er. Abhimanyu and Vincent T. H. CHU for being a volunteer in helping other engineers in solving problems related to structure design in R.C.C and Steel.

Expert 1
Name – Er. Gobind Khurana
Qualification:
1. Bachelor of Civil Engineering From Thapar University Patiala
2. Master of Structure Engineering from Delhi University.
Work Profile: Currently working as Consultant for structural problems in R.C.C and STEEL Design.

Expert 2
Name – Er. Abhimanyu
Qualification:
Bachelor of Civil Engineering From Thapar University Patiala
Training at site in Unitech ( during 6 month summer training)
Work Profile : Presently working as associate design engineer for Fluor Daniel India Pvt Ltd. Area of work is structural steel design and concrete foundations for both static and dynamics analysis ( mainly in oil and gas industry)

Expert 3
Er. Vincent T. H. CHU obtained the degree of civil and structural engineering in the University of Hong Kong. He is the author of the monthly column “The Civil FAQ” in the Hong Kong Engineer published by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers and is the author of the civil engineering monthly columns “The Civil Q&A” and “The Civil Corner” on the websites on World Federation of Engineering Organization and the University of Science and Technology (American Society of Civil Engineers – International Student Group) respectively. He is the recipient of the Ombudsman’s Award 2007 under complaint-related category and Young Engineer of the Year Award 2008 (Merit) organized by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. He is also the author of the engineering book “200 Question and Answers on Practical Civil Engineering Works”, “Civil Engineering Practical Notes A-Z” , “Ask Vincent Chu (Common FAQ on Practical Civil Engineering Works)” and “The Underlying Reasons in Practical Civil Engineering Works”.

So if you have any query regarding the concerned matter, just drop a comment and we will try to solve it as soon as possible.

Comments
  • chandan Kumar September 20, 2017 at 7:49 am

Hello sir
    What happen when larger dia bar(10mm) placed upper and 8mm dia bar placed below the 10mm bar in two way slab ,If 8mm dia is placed either in equal length direction or small side direction in two way slab ?
    What happen if fitter done this ?

• Anjani03 September 20, 2017 at 11:03 pm

I need to design concrete pad of generator (8000 lbs) and anchoring detail for the seismic zone. Should I design concrete pad as I am designing a simply supported slab on ground? Also I am kinda confuse on how to come up with tension and shear loading for anchoring. If I am not wrong my tension load will be (equipment selft wt + seismic) and shear will be only seismic?

Thank you!

• Stanley September 23, 2017 at 5:40 am

Goodday sir, am trying to run a master degree in Geothecnics engineering, and am looking for possible research topic in this field. Thank you

• Anil Sharma September 24, 2017 at 10:52 am

how to calculate the weight in kg for Hallow MS Square for 50X50X3

• shilin October 6, 2017 at 11:27 am

cube testing date counting from which day?the casting day?

• Rock October 7, 2017 at 1:00 am

Hi..
    I want to know effective vibration area of 10 ton Roller? Is there any referred document pls share..

• vijay October 8, 2017 at 9:45 am

how to check tower verticality using theodolite at site

• Deepak M. kadam October 13, 2017 at 3:42 am

Dear Sir,
    I hv brought Tata TISCON 500D steel. But due to contineous rain i can’t use it. My client say steel is rusted do not use it . Pls. guide me client is technical person.

• pramod kamble October 14, 2017 at 3:48 am

on which prameters chemical comitability is depend.
    how to check compitability of various chemical brands with various cement brands.
    is there any field test.

• Rabindra kumar behera October 15, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Sir, for bridge structure how to design the centering & shuttering.please mention reference book for bridge design

• Romilus Lyngdoh October 20, 2017 at 8:50 am

How to calculate ”CONCRETE MIX DESIGN CALCULATION SHEET (M25) for the , A-1 stipulations for proportioning

• jayce October 27, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Is there anybody know how to get the contours in the northern Australia. I have a project on this site but I’m lack of that information about it . I need some help, please!

• Sibi Mathew October 29, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Instead of using bricks, can walls be made by concrete?? If no, why?

• amit November 16, 2017 at 1:15 am

yes it can, but it will be too costly and heavy structure

• Mangesh More October 29, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Hi,
    I wants to 3floor home which includes 4bhk at 1st floor.. and Two 1bhks on other 2floor..with parking on 40*40ft land… So I want to know how much cost I need to pay for it…
    Please mail me if anyone help me…

• pandit c k November 1, 2017 at 4:06 am

what is total requirement of M20 concrete per cubic metre from pt of mixing up to 28 day strength. On an average is it 1400 litrs ?

• Reid November 3, 2017 at 11:00 am

What could cause concrete to develop a 28-day strength an order of magnitude 2 to 3 times above the design strength?

• SAGAR KOLHE November 7, 2017 at 5:56 am

hello sir,
    Sir my question is related to soil mechanics. In Direct shear test how to take dial gauge, proving ring readings.

• vyshnavu k November 21, 2017 at 1:07 am

Using Fe 500 or Fe 550 grades using design of CTD bars doesn’t yield profit. why?

• Tahir jamil November 21, 2017 at 3:58 am

Hello sir my name is Tahir jamil from j&k my question is …. If there occur dampness in slab of a building what are the simple remedial measures for that .. So we can easily elimate that effect plzzz help me as soon as possible

• Sabah al Zarid November 21, 2017 at 4:27 am

Hello Experts:

I’m losing sleep over a serious matter which is narrated below:

My tenant has installed a flex printing machine on the first floor of my 3 storey RCC building. The RCC building was erected in 1964. The machine itself weighs 850 kgs.

So, I like to know whether it is safe to allow the machine to operate on the first floor. Besides, how much weight can such an RCC building withstand?

Thanking you in advance….