Civil Engineering Home

Engineering is a term applied to the profession in which a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences, gained by study, experience, and practice, is applied to the efficient use of the materials and forces of nature. Engineers are the ones who have received professional training in pure and applied science.Before the middle of the 18th century, large-scale construction work was usually placed in the hands of military engineers. Military engineering involved such work as the preparation of topographical maps, the location, design, and construction of roads and bridges; and the building of forts and docks; see Military Engineering below. In the 18th century, however, the term civil engineering came into use to describe engineering work that was performed by civilians for nonmilitary purposes.

Civil engineering is the broadest of the engineering fields. Civil engineering focuses on the infrastructure of the world which include Water works, Sewers, Dams, Power Plants, Transmission Towers/Lines, Railroads, Highways, Bridges, Tunnels, Irrigation Canals, River Navigation, Shipping Canals, Traffic Control, Mass Transit, Airport Runways, Terminals, Industrial Plant Buildings, Skyscrapers, etc. Among the important subdivisions of the field are construction engineering, irrigation engineering, transportation engineering, soils and foundation engineering, geodetic engineering, hydraulic engineering, and coastal and ocean engineering.

Civil engineers build the world’s infrastructure. In doing so, they quietly shape the history of nations around the world. Most people can not imagine life without the many contributions of civil engineers to the public’s health, safety and standard of living. Only by exploring civil engineering’s influence in shaping the world we know today, can we creatively envision the progress of our tomorrows.

Comments
  • roshan January 17, 2017 at 11:18 am

In DMC method how excavated soil, slush & bentonite slurry is removed out

• Er.Shivam Sood January 23, 2017 at 3:44 am

The topmost drill pipe is connected with a hose emerging from the vertical pump (installed in the bentonite) pit sending fresh bentonite slurry to the borehole through a fine opening in chisel and when the bore hole is filled to the brink, it flows back to the bentonite pit along with the mud through the artificial conduit. In this way the mud from the bore keeps on moving up the borehole and is directed to the bentonite tank.It is preferred to use fresh and clean water for the preparation of bentonite suspension as the minutest impurities may alter the properties of a suspension. In case, clean water is not available at the site, special additives such as Ferrosome lignosulphate in combination with soda ash, phosphates and flocculants are added.

• Mohammed Haroon January 18, 2017 at 1:52 pm

I want to construct a compound wall of 250 running feet with a height of 5′ and thickness 9″….. Can someone help me out how the foundation should be?

• Uday Reddy Palla January 22, 2017 at 10:45 am

You can excavate the soil upto 3’6″ then run a 15″X15″ beam at the bottom and construct a RCC wall upto the ground wall ., from ground level to 5′ hight you can built wall with the normal brickwork….!!

• Er.Shivam Sood January 23, 2017 at 3:52 am

It must be a continous footing,stepped,rectagular.

• sam j siby January 20, 2017 at 11:37 pm

Hi, I have to make a term project in the field of sediment transport (40 to 50 pages), to be submitted as my project for M.E. Can anyone help me.

• sello mphee January 26, 2017 at 5:56 am

Please,I need an help on my project topic that say investigation and characterization on a solid waste disposal site and its impact on soil and water.

• prashant January 31, 2017 at 7:25 am

please suggest online or distance education for quantity survey course.

• arun January 31, 2017 at 11:19 am

Hi, I am a student of civil engineering ….n I have to complete a project file of my minor project ……so this is first time for me…..can someone please help me ………….how to make a front page, certificate and acknowledgement……n my project is on “widening of road”

• sangita adhikari February 1, 2017 at 1:08 am

plss.. suggest me.. at least one or two website to learn..how can a beginner learn about engineering practically at home????????????

• deepak parmar February 5, 2017 at 4:53 am

This is point wiring measurement specification as per CPWD norms.
    I could not understand what is type 1, type 2 , type 3 and type 4 residential buildings help me to resolve this.
    Thanks

• deepak parmar February 5, 2017 at 4:55 am

How can measurement of point wiring as per cpwd norms ?

• Kumar February 5, 2017 at 6:48 am

what is the best admixture in replacement of river sand by using of sea sand partially or fully

• Armando Rambla February 8, 2017 at 8:34 am

Good Day. What is the relevant international code that requires to provide a puddle flange during construction when a pipe passes thru a manhole? Thank you very much for the enlightenment.

• Dolang Tagung February 12, 2017 at 7:40 am

I am confused between terzaghi’s method and Meyerhoff’s method of bearing capacity. Which is the standard one to be followed for designing shallow foundation

• vinay February 13, 2017 at 6:44 am

Hi,
    Can any one get clear my doubt for cement sand mortar use as plaster works, why we check its compressive strength, in actually when we applied it on wall may be thickness of 20 mm,12mm…,
    I think/doubt instead of testing its Compressive Strength as mentioned in BIS codes, it should be its bonding strength & impermeably properties with substrate.

Regards
    Vinay

• Manish February 16, 2017 at 4:52 am

Hi guys
    I m in a hydropower project conducting a dpr (detailed project report). I m new to field and we have conduct sediment tests….what are the tests and ways to aquire data. If anyone could suggest us some ways or share pdfs . Very thankful of you guys..

• Tanpure Anil February 19, 2017 at 6:32 am

I want book on total experiments in lab on civil engineering material.
    please guide me

• GAUTAM KUMAR March 22, 2017 at 9:40 am

NO BOOK AVAILABLE IN MARKET FOR SPECIALIZATION in LAB so constrat in field work as well as material lab testing and do self.

• Amit Mishra April 25, 2017 at 3:13 am

Prepare from IS codes for best and accurate knowledge in material testings.

• imran anjum March 29, 2017 at 11:08 am

take the book of pn khanna.

• Bishan Basnet February 21, 2017 at 4:01 am

hello sirs
    I wanted to study civil engineering in diploma level and after it,s completetion i want to work and study .what are the benifits of working and studying engineering
    some suggestions please

• Ramakrishna Reddy March 10, 2017 at 2:23 am

It is welcome decision, the society require the help of engineers for addressing their problems related to establishment of habitats and living.
      The Civil Engineering studies equip you to create a living with self sufficient and sustainable living. It will provide knowledge as how to create a self sufficient sustainable habitats

• babu.b February 23, 2017 at 9:53 am

Sir i am completed civil diploma any job opening plz contact me….thank you

• Dinesh kannan February 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Glad to everyone
    I need to know the … Innovative project for civil engineering…and I need more models for my college project so plz send me a PDF copy to mail I’d and plz Ever civil engineering student share your projects as a PDF copy to my mail I’d

• Engr Toseef Ahmad March 11, 2017 at 12:44 am

Need different ratios for CLC in different densities

• Niranjan Patra March 12, 2017 at 9:28 pm

Please provide me the design details of rectangular RCC underground water tank of 30000 litres capacity