Civil Engineering Home

Engineering is a term applied to the profession in which a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences, gained by study, experience, and practice, is applied to the efficient use of the materials and forces of nature. Engineers are the ones who have received professional training in pure and applied science.Before the middle of the 18th century, large-scale construction work was usually placed in the hands of military engineers. Military engineering involved such work as the preparation of topographical maps, the location, design, and construction of roads and bridges; and the building of forts and docks; see Military Engineering below. In the 18th century, however, the term civil engineering came into use to describe engineering work that was performed by civilians for nonmilitary purposes.

Civil engineering is the broadest of the engineering fields. Civil engineering focuses on the infrastructure of the world which include Water works, Sewers, Dams, Power Plants, Transmission Towers/Lines, Railroads, Highways, Bridges, Tunnels, Irrigation Canals, River Navigation, Shipping Canals, Traffic Control, Mass Transit, Airport Runways, Terminals, Industrial Plant Buildings, Skyscrapers, etc. Among the important subdivisions of the field are construction engineering, irrigation engineering, transportation engineering, soils and foundation engineering, geodetic engineering, hydraulic engineering, and coastal and ocean engineering.

Civil engineers build the world’s infrastructure. In doing so, they quietly shape the history of nations around the world. Most people can not imagine life without the many contributions of civil engineers to the public’s health, safety and standard of living. Only by exploring civil engineering’s influence in shaping the world we know today, can we creatively envision the progress of our tomorrows.

Comments
  • Vivek Dwivedi July 1, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Done a plaster on dead wall external side two coat, & internal side one coat on internal side.
    & Apply external of dead wall texture with two coat pain but in rainy season leakage proble has arrived . water came from external side to internal side.
    My question is that why water came from out side?????

• Raj Rishi October 7, 2016 at 4:12 am

Leakage is common in brick masonry and plaster is porous in nature. It is better to go for waterproofing to get rid of psychological unease and damge of buildings.

• prashant sharma July 2, 2016 at 12:57 pm

An increase in temperature on the top fibre of a simply supported beam will cause

(a) Downward deflection
    (b) Upward deflection
    (c) No deflection
    (d) Angular rotation about neutral axis

can you explain ???

• suresh agnihotri November 23, 2016 at 5:11 am

upward deflection

• A V YUGESH October 4, 2016 at 12:17 am

How to build a home for a normal person with a very minimised cost (for ex:- 16*30 squarefeets)?
    can you please design a plan for it ? what is the actual cost required to build and where we can reduce the cost?

• Violet October 28, 2016 at 2:15 pm

I’m an engineer graduated 11 years ago in my country Paraguay and haven’t worked on the field since then. I want to take the FE but the books I find are reviews for the test when what I need is text book that follows the subjects on the test.
    Any help?
    Thanks

• Norkor Eric Daweah October 31, 2016 at 5:39 am

Is it ok to use quarry fines, sand & portland cement for grout’s ingredients.
    If so what is the preferred mix proportion for such.

• Alex Nicholas November 3, 2016 at 5:16 am

Sir,
    I am graduation civi with 3 yrs experience.
    I want license for licensed building engineer from tamilnadu. My native is dindigul.

• Lakshmi November 12, 2016 at 10:12 pm

I am studying second year.i cant understand structural analysis subject….plz tell me some reference books for sa

• James Bahagho November 22, 2016 at 1:47 am

please i need a very brief and precise details on the similarities and differences between BS 5950 and Eurocode 3 design criteria for steel beams (bending only) and that of steel columns (flexural and tortional buckling).

• uthra jagadeesh November 22, 2016 at 11:34 am

Is it a good option to study constructiona law in Dubai having 2 years of work experience as a Quantity surveyor?!

• suresh agnihotri November 23, 2016 at 5:10 am

cement mortar and lime mortar

• miftahul haq syawal November 23, 2016 at 11:41 pm

what is simple way to calculate force in bridge? cremona or cullman? i’m little bit confuse about this. thanks for your attention

• nuthan November 25, 2016 at 12:40 am

sir pls help me i have a less time to ssc exam i want to prepare to exam how can i sir pls give me a overall summary and most important points from each subjets to crack easily in less time plsssssiam reuesting u sir plsss help me

• Ganesan KG November 26, 2016 at 1:07 pm

I like this web site, I am M.E Structural Engg I had gain many informations from this web site.

• Anas khamis November 29, 2016 at 2:22 pm

HOW TO COMPUTE THE DEADLOADS ON RAILWAY BRIDGE?

• Pradeep kumar December 1, 2016 at 4:41 am

I have completed my diploma in civil engg. . now wt to do …

• VIVEK KUMAR SHARMA December 5, 2016 at 11:34 pm

What is Acceptable % of field dry density of soil

• aashish dhoju December 6, 2016 at 8:35 am

i am reading +11 in civil engineering and its easy now but i want to ask it is difficuli or not

• sd December 8, 2016 at 9:25 pm

first take weight of cube as w1(natural state as it contains air, moisture that is 3 phase), then immerse the cube in water for 24 hours after 24 hours take it out it take weight as w2(fully saturated), dry it it in oven for 10 minutes measure the weight as w3(dry), and amount of water=w2-w3.
    unit weight of water=weight/volume from this relationship we can find volume of water which is nothing but volume of voids.

• Bharat nathani December 13, 2016 at 1:28 am

Details regarding establishment of civil engineering laboratory.

• Zaid ullah December 15, 2016 at 6:47 am

i am the student of civil engineering 1st semester some one kindly direct me about all test that we can do for cement and concrete. tell me about its names only